Science and SF Glossary ~ K - O
- [word derived from blending parallax and second] a unit for measurement of distances of stars (from Earth) that equals 3.26 light-years (19 billion miles)
- a collection of particles with equal numbers of positive ions and electrons that exhibits some properties of gas, but is also a good conductor of electricity and is affected by magnetic fields
- of or relating to psychic powers or phenomena
- a person of creature who is noted for psi abilities - telepathic and empathic [often found in Catherine Asaro books]
- a celestial source of pulsating electromagnetic radiation characterized by short relatively constant interval between pulses that is held to be a rotating neutron star
- any of several elementary particles that are postulated to come in pairs of similar mass with one member having a +2/3 charge and the other having a -2/3 charge
- quantum (pl. quanta)
- any of the small increments or parcels into which many forms of energy are subdivided. quantum theory, quantum physics, quantum mechanics...
- SF - A device that exactly duplicates an inanimate object from information input or a databank.
- the branch of technology dealing with the design, construction and use of robots
- one that seems able to change form or identity at will
- solar system
- a sun/star with a group of celestial bodies (meteors, comets, planets, asteroids) that are held in orbit around it by means of gravitational attraction.
- solar wind
- charged particles from the sun traveling at about 1.5 million kph.
- [word derived from sophmore + ontogeny] SF - a sentient being in its middle stages of Uplift development.
Used in writings by Azimov, P. Anderson, Brin and others
- a slowing or stoppage of the normal flow of bodily fluids and primary functions.
- string theory
- a premise in physics that all elementary particles are manifestations of the vibrations of one-dimensional stings.
- a [theoretical] particle that moves faster than light.
- the production of motion in objects with out contact or other physical means.
- communication from one mind to another by extrasensory means.
- SF - the introduction of biological agents to transform a portion to a land mass.
- the act of moving an object or person by psychokinesis