Science and SF Glossary ~ K - O
- 1. the entire celestial cosmos
- 2. an aggregate of stars comparable to the Galaxy
- a process that provides betterment of the spiritual, social and intellectual condition.
1. improvement of the intellectual condition and abilities of another species.
- 2. the breeding and genetic engineering by which older spacefarer races bring new species into the space culture. [especially in works by Brin]
- virtual reality (VR, V-real)
- an artificial environment experienced through sensory stimuli (sights and sounds) provided by a computer, and in which one's actions partially determine what happens in that environment.
- SF - from R. A. Heinlien's book of the same name A telefactoring device
A mechanical agent, such as a gripper arm, controlled by a human limb
- warp drive
- SF - the propulsion system that creates the curvatures necessary for warp speed
- warp speed
- time-space curvatures that allow faster-than-light travel
- a hypothetical structure of space-time envisioned as a long tunnel connecting points that are separated in space and time.
NO WORDS YET
- YBP (abbreviation)
- Years Before Present
- YORP (short for Yarkovsky, O'Keefe, Radzievskii and Paddack--the scientists who developed the theory) effect
- influence of sunlight on the spin of asteroids.
NO WORDS YET